This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

FHL Double Taxation

WINDSURFER
FHL Double Taxation

Postby WINDSURFER » Wed May 04, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello all, I am a UK resident & have owned a FHL in Portugal since 2017. I have paid tax on the income in both Portugal & the UK since owning the property but have been reading about a double taxation treaty which exists between Portugal & the UK. Is paying tax in both countries necessary or not in my situation.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jholm

Re: FHL Double Taxation

Postby Jholm » Wed May 04, 2022 2:06 pm

Without checking the tax treaty, it is likely Portugal has taxation rights and you should be claiming foreign tax credit on your UK tax return to account for this. This will stand to reduce your UK tax bill, or possibility make it nil entirely.

Otherwise, yes, you are paying tax twice in two countries with no relief.

Return to “Income Tax”