This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Need help - have been self employed for a few years but only just registered

cynical
Need help - have been self employed for a few years but only just registered

Postby cynical » Wed May 04, 2022 4:13 pm

I need help with tax self-assessment. I've been self-employed since Sep 2019 but have never registered as self-employed as I was unaware it was necessary. I haven't made anywhere near enough to owe tax, does that make a difference?

I'm filling out the self-assessment form and am not sure what to answer for ”Date your books or accounts are made up to:” because if I put way back to 2019 they’ll say I didn’t file for those years...? Really not sure how any of this works.

Really would appreciate some guidance as I cannot afford to be fined.

Jholm

Re: Need help - have been self employed for a few years but only just registered

Postby Jholm » Thu May 05, 2022 4:16 pm

Best bet is to file all the ones in the period and then appeal penalties at a later date

Return to “Income Tax”