This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Remittance Basis transfer of tax due

tsdjim
Remittance Basis transfer of tax due

Postby tsdjim » Tue May 10, 2022 5:38 pm

Hi

I am planning on claiming the UK Remittance basic for taxation. The question I have is that when tax is due, which is the best way pay HMRC:

1. Directly to HMRC from a foreign bank account
2. Transfer the amount to my UK bank account and then to HMRC

Is any of this tax transferred to HMRC considered to be a Remittance and does transfer from a 'clean account abroad' to pay HMRC, matter here.

Thanks

Ron

bd6759

Re: Remittance Basis transfer of tax due

Postby bd6759 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:27 pm

Any transfer of money could be a remittance. What you use it for is irrelevant.

maths

Re: Remittance Basis transfer of tax due

Postby maths » Wed May 11, 2022 4:47 pm

If you have to pay the so-called Remittance Basis Charge (RBC) in order to claim remittance treatment then this RBC can be remitted from overseas income/gains without creating a UK tax charge if it is directly to HMRC by cheque or electronic transfer (but not via a UK bank account or cheque drawn on a UK bank).

However, if what is remitted is foreign income/gains which are used to discharge a UK income tax/CGT liability on a remittance of foreign income/gains then the remittance to discharge the tax liabilities is taxable however remitted (unless such remittance is of "capital").

Return to “Income Tax”