This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy to let tax relief 20% Taxpayer / salary exchange

nicko41
Buy to let tax relief 20% Taxpayer / salary exchange

Postby nicko41 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:33 pm

My current salary around presently £50k p.a (after around £10k salary exchange for a pension)

Recently I purchased a BTL property, the rent is £13k year and I have £3k year mortgage expenses, ie roughly £10k net

If I asked my employer to reduced my salary to £40k p.a (£20k salary exchange), would I be allowed to claim the mortgage interest as a permitted expense?

Any advice appreciated

D&C

Re: Buy to let tax relief 20% Taxpayer / salary exchange

Postby D&C » Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 pm

It wouldn't matter if your taxable salary was 40p, £40k or £400k.

You cannot claim "mortgage expenses" against rental income.

You would probably be eligible to claim a tax credit in relation to any qualifying element of the expenses.

But that wouldn't alter the fact that you have £13k profit (subject to any expenses that are deductable).

I suspect you are getting confused somewhere along the line and probably mean something completely different. Maybe enlisting the services of an accountant would be a sensible move?

Jholm

Re: Buy to let tax relief 20% Taxpayer / salary exchange

Postby Jholm » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:56 am

Subject to a few potential but seemingly unlikely restrictions, you are going to get 20% relief on the mortgage interest element, whether you are in basic rate or higher rate.

Return to “Income Tax”