This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offshore bond gains and dividends

SuperSpurs106
Offshore bond gains and dividends

Postby SuperSpurs106 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:49 am

Hi

I have a client with the following income:

Interest - £1,514
Offshore bond gains - £22,352 (bond held for 7 years)
Dividends - £21,516

I am aware that top slicing relief will not apply here as the bond gains do not take the client into higher rate.

However, my question is this...when calculating where the dividends fall, can you ever use the top sliced gain or do you always use the full gain (in the same way you use the full gain to determine whether the client retains their personal allowance or not)?

If the top sliced gain is used then some dividends will fall within the personal allowance but if that is not allowed then all of he dividends will be taxed at basic rate.

TIA

maths

Re: Offshore bond gains and dividends

Postby maths » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:03 pm

Full gain.

Return to “Income Tax”