This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unpaid Income Tax; Starting New Job; HELP!

thomas303
Unpaid Income Tax; Starting New Job; HELP!

Postby thomas303 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm

I'll try to keep this brief.

I have about 8 years of not being in the tax / NI system. I've worked on odd jobs here and ther to get by, all just paid to me direct into my bank account, no other form of official work.

Some of these years I don't think I would have earned enough to go over the personal allowance, other years I earned more, £25k probably being around the most in a year. From what I understand I need to find a tax advisor to contact HMRC on my behalf. Otherwise I need to do a voluntary disclosure. I know this needs to get sorted ASAP, I just don't know how, or rather, how to do it with minimal 'damage'.

(For anyone wondering why I'm in this mess, initially it was cluelessness, I was doing work for an overseas company, software design- didn't realise I even had to pay tax. Since I realised my mistake its been years of fear and not having enough money to get it sorted)

More background; I don't have any assets or savings, beyond my computers and clothes. I only have a single basic bank account, I rent in a shared house, I don't have any bills. I rarely have more than a few hundred pounds in the bank.

One of the clients I have worked for have now set up an LLC in the USA (they also have UK accountants) and have offered me a job, they have just sent me an email asking for my NI number. What is going to happen here? Will they be able to set me up on payroll while I sort out the mess with HMRC? I won't be able to provide a P45/60 etc to them. I fear if they're able to find out about my tax disasters, I'll lose the job.

Last question, how might I go about finding to someone to help me with this mess? How much money would I need upfront to get it started?

Jholm

Re: Unpaid Income Tax; Starting New Job; HELP!

Postby Jholm » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:47 am

Sounds like you're due to start as a PAYE employee, which will have all your taxes paid via your wages so no issues there.

Disclosing 8 years of self-employed income is a bit of a task and I would expect a decent advisor to charge £1,000 upwards for dealing with that many years.

It would likely be a job that dragged on somewhat but would get resolved sooner or later. Fiscal penalties stand to be considerably less when you make the disclosure without prompt from HMRC

thomas303

Postby thomas303 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:26 am

Thanks for the reply. So just to clarify there isn't any risk in me sending my NI number to my new employer and for them to set me up on their payroll systems? They won't be able to view anything about my tax history?

I'm going to try giving www.kinsellatax.co.uk a call today, found a link via this forum, does that sound like the right thing to do?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Your new employer cannot see your previous employment history via your NI number

They also won't need a p45, they can determine your tax code by asking you to complete a Starter Checklist

Return to “Income Tax”