This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

travel expenses working away from home employee

locsel
travel expenses working away from home employee

Postby locsel » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:07 pm

Hi All
I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I am an employee working for an agency for a one year contract. The contract is based in northampton which is 150 miles from home. I travel to northampton on a monday stay 4 nights in a hotel then back home for the weekend. Am i able to claim tax relief on any of the expenses paid out during my
time away from home?
thanks

bd6759

Re: travel expenses working away from home employee

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Sounds like ordinary commuting to me, so no.

darthblingbling

Re: travel expenses working away from home employee

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:54 pm

There's specific rules for agency staff which states that each engagement is treated as a separate employment for the purposes of determining where your permanent workplace is. Essentially yeah, wouldn't be deductable by the sounds of it

Return to “Income Tax”