This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Erroneous tax refund

Ellie10
Erroneous tax refund

Postby Ellie10 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi, I submit self assessment each year.

I have had a £600 tax refund in May '23 (for 22/23 tax year) that I am not entitled to.

It's based on my P60 income being lower than personal allowance and is the tax deducted (matches P60 amount) from a private pension which is the only "income" I have.

However I have other "additional income" via interest which hasn't been taken into account yet as they sent the money soon after P60 from pension ppl in April. Once I submit my 22/23 SA, I will actually be due to pay HMRC around 3k in tax for 22/23. I called HMRC after notification but b4 chq issued...and was assured that they would stop the cheque. The chq came anyway so I didn't cash it as I know it's erroneous.

I don't know if they will know I haven't cashed it as it's a few months ago now and I've heard nothing since.

How do I deal with this on my SA for 22/23 which I am about to complete pls...or do I ignore it? I obviously want to ensure that they know I didn't take the refund.

I have called numerous times over past few weeks but each time the wait times are ridiculous and I have hung up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

pawncob

Re: Erroneous tax refund

Postby pawncob » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:57 pm

A cheque is valid for six months, so they won't know that you won't cash it.
Just submit the return......and wait.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Ellie10

Postby Ellie10 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:25 pm

Thanks.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:36 am

Sounds like HMRC weren't expecting a return. It might be the case that PAYE and Self-Assessment aren't linked.

When they are expecting a tax return, you shouldn't get sent a PAYE calculation (or overpayment arising therefrom) until the return is filed.

Ellie10

Postby Ellie10 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Thanks, I haven't had any PAYE for many a year, just SA. This year I activated a private pension which is in addition so they should still have expected SA I think.....

I've actually completed the SA now - tho not yet submitted - and it had a section asking if I had had a tax refund so I answered yes and amount and the final calc took it into account as a refund so so now I'll just bank the chq and.... one cancels the other out.

Return to “Income Tax”