This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is interest chargeable when...........

Fasteddie
Is interest chargeable when...........

Postby Fasteddie » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:09 pm

Is interest chargeable when the previous year the payments on account were reduced to almost nil as it was known a large capital allowance AIA would be claimed, and taxable income was indeed nil for the year once the AIA was claimed. But the following year taxable income will be once again back to a normal level (comparing to previous years) but of course the POAs are zero (50% of previous year's zero taxable income) and so at the end of the year a balancing charge will be payable for the full amount. Will interest be payable on this? It should be stated that the reduced POAs were fairly claimed so there is no issue of the original reduction being unfairly claimed.

Fasteddie

Re: Is interest chargeable when...........

Postby Fasteddie » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:31 pm

Aha, I found the internal manual and it just talks of Section 59A(2)of the 50% of previous year being the POA calc and no mention of interest so confident there will be none, my fault for taking notice of someone who told me there'd be interest.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:37 am

Correct. No interest in these circumstances because no POA is due.

Fasteddie

Postby Fasteddie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am

Correct. No interest in these circumstances because no POA is due.
Thank you bd, much obliged.

Return to “Income Tax”