This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Employed Mileage Allowance

GasEngineer
Self Employed Mileage Allowance

Postby GasEngineer » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:14 pm

Self employed plumber.
I recently sold my van and am now using my private car for work.
I understand that I can claim 45p per mile for eligible business journeys.

But I am struggling with understanding how to claim for mileage so would appreciate some guidance.

As I see it - if I claim say 2222 miles at 45p = £1000 as an expense on my tax return, that will reduce my taxable income by £1000 and hence reduce tax payable by £200 at 20% tax.

This seems as if I am netting £200 for the 2222 miles so I'm only getting 9p per mile for using the car.

Have I totally misunderstood?

Benthal

Re: Self Employed Mileage Allowance

Postby Benthal » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm

if you are a higher tax payer, then it saves double what you calculated.

eligible amount need to be multiplied by relevant tax rate.

bd6759

Re: Self Employed Mileage Allowance

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm

Yes you have misunderstood.

The government is not going to pay your expenses for you. What they do is give you tax relief on the expenses you do incur.

Put it this way: you buy a length of pipe for £10. That is an expense which reduces your profit by £10. You pay tax on £10 less income. That saves you £2?

The cost of your expenses is paid by your customers. It is built in to the rates you charge.

Return to “Income Tax”