This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-Assessement / Double taxation relief

Joined:Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:45 pm
Self-Assessement / Double taxation relief

Postby craftycolin » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:12 pm

Hi there

My girlfriend and I were both employed by the same Isle of Man company for the 23/24 tax year. Fortunately, as an Isle of Man resident my tax is easy, but my girlfriend is a UK resident. As this would be considered a foreign income, she has registered for self-assessment and together we've filled it out as best we can, but not yet submitted.

Neither of us are familiar with the process of self-assessment or the double taxation agreement between the UK and Isle of Man, so while we know she can claim tax relief, we've no idea how to work that out (it didn't do it automatically online).

There's also some other oddities, where the self-assessment requires the details of employment and foreign income separately despite them being the same thing, but then asks for details of PAYE and P45/P60 - the Isle of Man doesn't have these (we have a T21). It also asks what tax the company has paid to the HMRC, but this is presumably none as it's an Isle of Man company.

What we're really hoping for is some clarification on how exactly to fill this self-assessment out to ensure it's accurate before it's submitted and that she can claim the double taxation relief (and how to figure that out).

We can't really afford an accountant (I'm out of work and she's only just started somewhere new UK based), so the hope is even just some general advice will help!

To add further complication, the company required she register for Isle of Man tax as an Isle of Man resident (living with me) as one of the investors needed two Isle of Man employees to satisfy visa requirements, but she's still a UK resident as she never actually moved to the island. She'll still need to file taxes in the Isle of Man, but I can clarify this situation with the Isle of Man Tax Division (they're usually very helpful). We'd contact HMRC, but I don't fancy another 2 hour wait on call!

Any advice is massively appreciated!


Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Self-Assessement / Double taxation relief

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:24 am

Your girlfriend has made a false statement to the Isle of Man? She’s a keeper if she’s willing to perjure herself for you.

Return to “Income Tax”