This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

6-Year Cut-Off

LMT8

Postby LMT8 » Tue May 03, 2005 3:40 am

A client has not submitted Tax Returns since 1997/98. The Inland Revenue have therefore made determinations, penalties and charged interest for each of the years to date.

We are now looking to submit all the outstanding Tax Returns for our client (including 1997/98). As the 6-year cut-off rule would imply that 1998/99 would be the earliest year open for revision, would we still be able to request our 1997/98 submission override determinations/penalties/interest currently in place?

A previous client in the same situation has been told that the determinations, penalties and interest for 1997/98 will stand even though they had confirmed a Tax Return had been received for that year (they informed us that in these situations the returns would not be processed, merely logged as having been received).

Has anyone come across this before or submitted a valid Tax Return in this situation?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue May 03, 2005 5:30 am

You may be able to negotiate an Equitable settlement with the Collector/Enforcement Office for out of date years.

vinodkumar

Postby vinodkumar » Tue May 10, 2005 2:21 am

Kingmaker

Please advice how one would go about pursuing a claim to this effect in practice. I have never come across a situation like this before. Your help will be most appreciated.
Alternatively if you guide me to the relevant part of IRevenue web site I will carry out detailed research.

Return to “Income Tax”