This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When does a period of admin start?

D Sum

Postby D Sum » Fri May 06, 2005 3:49 am

Just a quick question that is being debated in the office and we're hoping someone can settle it.

With regards to a period of admin - when does it start. Does it start on the day of death or the day after? If I make some disposals at my Private Bankers office in the morning then step outside and fall under a bus - which Return should it go on?

On this example - logic says its the day after.

However on IHT we value from the day before death - which suggests that the period of admin starts on the day of death - despite the deceased being alive partly through that day.

I cannot find any manuals or legislation to settle this argument - the all say "from death" as oppose to something helpful like "From the day after death."

Any comments?

Darren

Return to “Income Tax”