This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividends on higher rate tax

Mark_PHP

Postby Mark_PHP » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:33 am

I own 70% of the business, and I am a higher rate tax payer i.e. 40%.

If I pay myself dividends do I pay tax on them of 40% even though they've already been subject to corporation tax?

Is there any relief?

womble

Postby womble » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:51 am

Your dividends are treated as if basic rate tax has been paid, but as a higher rate tax payer I believe an additional 25% tax is payable - Phil

demetris

Postby demetris » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:41 am

If dividends you pay yourself from the company fall within the basic rate of income tax, there is no addditional personal tax to pay. Dividends that fall within the higher income tax bracket are subject to 22.5% income tax.

You should be careful when you dividends to ensure that there are available permitted profits for the company to pay dividends to the shareholders. Otherwise the distribution will be unlawful and might be treated as additional remuneration by the Revenue.

I hope this helps.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
We have a Special Report on tax savings for small businesses that, amongst other stuff, deals with your query. It will be sent to you when you subscribe to our FREE tax and business advice newsletters on the website. We also have an article on the website that you are welcome to check out.

Return to “Income Tax”