This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

help tax credits

sharon48649@aol.com

Postby sharon48649@aol.com » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:17 pm

help my husband is self employed and he says that we can not claim for child tax credits but my friend says we can but i not sure because of the amount he earns some weeks.

demetris

Postby demetris » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:37 am

The rules are very complicated.

To find out whether you qualify for the new syystem of working and child tax credits, you can go to the Inland Revenue website. There you can fill in an on-line form that will tell you if you are entitled to.

D. Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info

Caron@ThompsonKimti

Postby Caron@ThompsonKimti » Sun May 11, 2003 10:46 am

It doesn't matter whether you are Self-Employed or not. You can claim Child Tax Credit of at least £545 up to income of £50000. For Working Tax Credit, you have to work at least 16 hours per week. You can get both Credits depending on the level of joint Income you have. In recent weeks, I have seen awards of £4300 per annum (Combined Child Credit and Working Tax Credit) per annum for joint income of £8800 and at the other end £545 Child Tax Credit only for income of around £33000.
Obviously, every claim is different, but it is worth making a claim. You can do it online with the Revenue website:www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/taxcredits.
Make sure you keep a note of the reference number given at the end of completing the online form, otherwise you will not be able to go back in and retrieve the submitted form.

Caron Smeaton - Tax Dept
Thompson Kimti - Gateshead

Return to “Income Tax”