This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Borrowing surplus cash from company to fund residential property purchase

Sofia1

Postby Sofia1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:05 pm

I am a director of a small business and we have surplus cash in the company of around £150k. To withdraw it would result in a significant personal tax liability so I plan to leave it in the business for the time being. However, I am about to purchase a new house and coincidentally the mortgage shortfall is £150k. It would be ideal therefore to borrow from the company - presumably paying it back at a rate that is much less than a mortgage company. However, I believe that, under current company law, directors cannot strictly be given a loan by a company, and that Sarbannes Oxley has tightened the grip on this issue. What options do I have if any?! Or do I have to wait until the law changes or simply borrow from a mainstream lender? Again I understand that the DTI is looking into this matter and things might loosen up but my knowledge is scant. Any suggestions most welcome, many thanks.

JasonButcher

Postby JasonButcher » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:09 am

I cant comment on your problem as not to hot on company law - but one thing to watch out for is that too much cash in the busineess i.e a large surplus can effect your business asset taper relief for capital gains tax-you might want to speak to your accountant about this.

ad

Postby ad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:31 am

the law aspect of the question is not for me to answer - however if you receive a loan - which exceeds £5000 at any point in the tax year - from the company and are paying interest back at a rate less than the official rate of interest as set by the Inland revenue there will be a taxable benefit in kind on the difference.

Also if your company is a close company, any directors loan account that isnt cleared within 9 months of the end of the accounting period in which it was made will have to pay S419 tax of 25% on the balance at that 9 month point. This tax (or part of )is however refunded when the loan (or part of) is repaid to the company.

Return to “Income Tax”