This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company closure - Tax efficiency of Final Dividend for Higher rate taxpayer

exie

Postby exie » Sun May 11, 2003 8:42 am

I am a higher-rate taxpayer and a sole shareholder in a small company (dormant since 03/2000). I wish to dissolve the company.

This dormant company, however, has a small amount of equity remaining in it (
I currently seem to have 2 options:
(a) Final dividend to myself, but this would incur additional tax at 22.5% as I am a higher-rate taxpayer
(b) Gift shares to my spouse and pay final dividend to her. This would sace the evtra 22.5% as she is basic-rate taxpayer only. It should be noted that my spouse has never had any active involvement in this company in the past.

In my analysis (b) sounds efficient, but should I be concerned re: the Revenue's interest in "family" companies.

Any suggestions?

PSG

Postby PSG » Fri May 16, 2003 2:02 am

You should consider contacting the Inland Revenue
to gain clearance to make a capital rather than income distribution.Depending on the amount of share capital it may be possible/practical for an informal liquidation by having the company struck off.

Return to “Income Tax”