This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employee paid gross

billypeel

Postby billypeel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:12 am

Help!
I work through agencies on ships (but not as crew) mainly outside UK waters.
I am treated as an employee or temporary worker, usually with a works number, and am subjected to PAYE.
One agency recently paid me gross.
Do I declare this income on my employment pages or elsewhere and what should I do about NICs?

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:47 am

I assume you are UK resident. You ought to declare the income, but may have a claim to seafarer's relief against it, which can be 100%. The rules are complicated because they depend on builidng up eligible periods. If you want to contact me I can advise you.

simon.sweetman@btinternet.com

billypeel

Postby billypeel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:43 am

Thanks Simon.
I'll put it in on my employment pages.
As an employee I do claim Seafarer's Relief most years. I just thought it was odd for an employee to be paid gross and wondered if I would be liable for both the employer's and the employee's compulsory NI contributions.

Return to “Income Tax”