This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

double taxation agreement uk italy - tie break

riccardob
double taxation agreement uk italy - tie break

Postby riccardob » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Hello,

I am reading through the dual taxation agreement between the UK and Italy in relation to a italian pensions paid to a resident of the uk.

Now in terms of italian legislation, if someone is registered in the
local register of population you are a tax resident of Italy. However one is also resident of the uk if they spend more than 183 days in the UK.

So one can be a tax resident of both countries. Now this is where the tie-break
listed in the taxation agreement comes into play.

According to the tie break clause if someone has a permanent home in one state that that state 'wins' the residency. My question is, what happens if I have a permanent home in my name in Italy but my partner has a home in the UK, what should be consideted as my permanent home in the tie-break clause of the dual tax agreement?

thanks

maths

Re: double taxation agreement uk italy - tie break

Postby maths » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Your permanent home is determined on the facts applicable to you, not your partner.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Your permanent home is determined on the facts applicable to you, not your partner.
Hello,

But what would be classed as a permanenent home: a house registered in your name only or also a house registered in your wife's name?

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Hello,

But what would be classed as a permanenent home: a house registered in your name only or also a house registered in your wife's name assuming you can live in both?

maths

Postby maths » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:08 pm

It is highly unlikely that your girlfriend's property would be treated under the DTA as a permanent home of yours.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 pm

The OECD commentary on tax treaties explains this, starting at page 86

https://www.oecd.org/berlin/publikationen/43324465.pdf

You first said girlfriend. Now you say wife. There is a difference.

tiengodue

Postby tiengodue » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:53 pm

sorry to hijack the post but I have a question related to dual residency claims.
if one is tax treaty resident in another country, and has no uk income to report, is one still required to file a self assessment? my understanding is that if no tax to pay therefore there is no need to file a self assessment.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:20 pm

A person is required to file a tax return if they receive a notice from HMRC to file a tax return.

If no notice is received and no UK source income/gains arise then there is no need to notify HMRC of any liability top income tax/CGT.

Where a person is dual resident but resident in the overseas territory under a DTA tie-breaker test contained isn the DTA then strictly speaking a UK tax return is required. This would include filing the Residence etc Supplementary Pages and filling other appropriate claims (eg HS302) under which a claim would be made for tie-breaker residence overseas. Not necessarily a short process.

In practice, despite the above, it is not unusual in such circumstances assuming literally no UK source income/gains for nothing to be filled in the UK (the "sleeping dogs" approach).

Return to “International Tax”