This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Emigrating - Continuing to Work for UK Company

PotentialMove
Emigrating - Continuing to Work for UK Company

Postby PotentialMove » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi,

I have been researching the potential tax implications that would arise if I decided to emigrate yet continued to work for my UK-based employer.

I think I understand what this would entail from my, i.e. the employee's, point of view. What I am less sure about is what this would entail for my employer, and therefore to what extent they might be willing to accept such an arrangement. I have seen mention of 'risk' to the employer with respect to the fact that such a set-up could potentially create a 'presence' for the company within that country, and/or potential liability for local taxes.

Is anyone able to clarify more precisely the potential risks to the employer? I appreciate that such matters depend upon the particular circumstances - of the employee, the employer and the intended destination country - but is there nevertheless a general, 'preferred' option, from the employer's perspective, for continuing to employ the employee whilst minimising 'risk' to the company? Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/statistics of how likely a UK company might be to commit to such an arrangement?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

AGoodman

Re: Emigrating - Continuing to Work for UK Company

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am

I don't see how anybody can help you (or indeed be more precise) if you don't name the country or the nature of your role. I don't think there are any "general answers" beyond those you have identified.

etf

Postby etf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 pm

See article below which covers this area:

International remote working – a new tax risk?
13 August 2020

As lockdowns were announced globally due to the coronavirus outbreak, many employers allowed employees to work remotely from their international home or holiday home. As the pandemic has progressed, these arrangements have continued and, in many cases, employees are asking for these to become more permanent arrangements. Does working anywhere globally really come without additional considerations and costs?

The issue
Where an individual engaged under an employment contract in one country works in another country, it can cause a number of tax, social security and regulatory issues for both the individual and the employer. This isn’t a new issue, but the coronavirus has created many more instances of this scenario. Many tax authorities around the world have issued coronavirus related relaxations around these points, but these are limited both in terms of time and application.

Even if such an issue hasn’t arisen to date, the realisation by employees that they can work from home/work remotely anywhere in the world has meant many employers have seen requests for longer term arrangements to be agreed. How can employees and employers manage the tax and other risks around this?

Employees
For an individual, working in another country can trigger local tax residence rules, which might mean the individual is liable for local income taxes and need to file tax returns in that jurisdiction. Where the individual is a returning national, that will increase the likelihood of this. Many countries have COVID-19 specific tax residency relaxations, but these should be reviewed carefully for each individual’s circumstances.

Temporary arrangements of less than 183 days (and where no permanent establishment (PE) of the employing entity is present) can usually be exempted from local income taxes using a tax treaty exemption. Often though, this exemption needs to be claimed on a tax return and, for example, in the US the exemption is not recognised in all states.

Employers
An employee of an entity in one country working in another country is capable of creating a PE (ie a taxable presence) of the employing entity in that other country in certain circumstances. There are often resulting reporting requirements in relation to business registration, payroll, social security and taxes on attributable local profits of the employing entity, as well as potential complications when working visas are required.

The OECD suggests that this outcome would be unlikely for temporary arrangements in response to the coronavirus, but as the pandemic progresses or such arrangements are made more permanent, the likelihood of a PE may increase. A PE is more likely to be present where sales teams negotiate and conclude contracts in the territory in which the individual is temporarily resident, and/or where the individual is a senior executive.

Even if there is no PE, many countries have other obligations which will apply. Payroll reporting is often required, as are related registrations, for example superannuation in Australia.

Looking ahead
International remote and homeworking arrangements are likely to be an ongoing workforce consideration. COVID-19 has meant that many businesses and their employees now realise that this is possible and, in addition, flexible arrangements might help to open up the global talent pool. The key is to be aware of all implications before agreeing to such an arrangement and, if the arrangements are likely to be commonplace, to have a clear policy to help tax and HR teams to manage this.

PotentialMove

Postby PotentialMove » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:40 pm

I don't see how anybody can help you (or indeed be more precise) if you don't name the country or the nature of your role. I don't think there are any "general answers" beyond those you have identified.
Many thanks for your reply, and apologies for not giving sufficient information. The country would be Italy and my role would be to continue my current position as an analyst for the company.

Regards

PotentialMove

Postby PotentialMove » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 pm

@etf

Many thanks for the article you posted, which seems helpful indeed.

Can I ask if you're aware of any further information with respect to the likelihood of PE, and other obligations, specific to Italy?

A further option that I have been researching would be to set myself up in Italy with their 'Partita IVA' and then seek an arrangement with my current employer in which I act and invoice them as a consultant via the Partita IVA. Does anyone know if this is a feasible option?

Regards

Return to “International Tax”