This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK investments and French tax

Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Postby Brightonian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:44 am

If a UK domiciled individual moves to France and becomes resident, he will presumably pay French income and wealth tax on UK investments e.g. ISAs and unit trusts. But will he pay any tax on an investment bond held offshore (Isle of man)? And can he make any withdrawals from the bond without incurring French tax (as he could in the UK)? And would the situation be different if the bond were held in a discretionary trust of which he were a beneficiary?

Bob Jones
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Postby Bob Jones » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:51 am

I think you need to post this to the French equivalent of taxationweb ..... unless we have any French taxation experts in our midst.

Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Postby Taxbar » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 am

Dear mg,

If you are moving to FR you need expert advice.

Your current offshore bond may not be suitable and you need specific advice which I offer with an FR colleague.

It maybe possible to create a reduced FR tax structure.

You should look @ the article in the UK&International tax law section by professor Anthony as a starting point.

Daniel Feingold

Return to “International Tax”