This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complete Tax year out tof the UK

Riad

Postby Riad » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:25 am

Hello,

On my previous job, I've been moving around Europe every 6 months but my employement contract ws with the UK Branch of the compagny. For example, from april 2002 to april 2002, I've spent 4 months in Germany, 5 months in Switzerland and 3 months in Hungary.

Many of my colluagues in the same situation have been reimbursed for tax they paid through PAYE simply by sending a letter. They asked me to fill out a self-assessment though, claiming that I'm a non-resident and then not liable to Tax in the UK. I thought that they would reimburse me as well, but it looks like I made some mistakes as Inland Revenue is now asking me to pay more tax.

Can you please tell me if I'm right in saying that I'm not liable to UK Tax and how I should amend my Tax return if i'm in that case?

Thanks for your help!

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:15 am

A quick letter to the Revenue should do the trick- the Return has probably not been processed correctly and once an Inspector looks at it, you should get the desired refund.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “International Tax”