This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Family move to France

piggypete

Postby piggypete » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:13 am

I am looking at moving my family to france in the next 3-6 Months. We have property in France, are selling our house in the UK, and keeping one rented outalso in the UK.We have 3 Children 2 X 11 and 1 X 13. I am not intending to work for at least a year (apart from doing the garden and trying to become as self sufficient as possible).

I am trying to find out.

1. Can I keep claiming Child benefit, if so for how long.
2. Can I keep claiming Child Tax Benefit if so for how long.
3. Are there French Equivelants.
4. Even though I suspect that the State Pension will be worthless by the time I retire how can do I maintain the contrubutions in the UK or in France.
5. Will I be taxed on my rental income (£4 ish) in the UK of France.

Any help would be appreciated.

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:33 am

Dear Piggeypete,

I think you need to take French Tax advice on becoming resident in France.

You can check out UK benefit issues etc with the DSS.

Most benefits cease with UK residence, except of course your pension.

For more on french Tax look at the article by Professor Robert Anthony on the UK & International tax law section of this website. Click on the section under information on the right of this screen.

Daniel Feingold editor of that section

Return to “International Tax”