This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residence position

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Postby Herbs16 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 am

If you are employed by a uk company and are based in afghanistan for 2006/2007 tax year and only spent 88 days in the uk that year.
Does anyone know the residence position and the liability to uk tax? He will be in afghanistan for another year then return to the uk.
For 2006/2006 he was uk resident.
Hope someone can advise.

Simon Sweetman
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Postby Simon Sweetman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:43 am

You are UK resident until you have spent at least an entire tax year abroad. I suspect that in the circumstances you describe HMRC would not accept non-residence : there is no double tax treaty with Afghanistan so no help there. The fact that wages are paid by a UK company (presumably paid in the UK ?) does not help.

There may be reliefs available and I could look into that for you.

Return to “International Tax”