This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

To be or not to be - Ex Pat - that is the question..

Ganne

Postby Ganne » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 am

Can anyone tell me in fairly simple terms whether it is likely to be advantageous for me to register as an ex-pat or not, as I seem to be in a position where I could choose either.
At present I am largely maintained by my partner, I am living in Switzerland most of the time (we came for work, not tax reasons !) but I travel to the UK a lot... I do have a small UK freelance income as a consultant and from a UK property rental.

Are there any significant benefits to being ex pat as a landlord/freelancer if you have a low income?

There are some significant pension and health benefits if continue to pay NI in the UK so it does not seem to be a straightforward decision.
Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thanks.

blackdano

Postby blackdano » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:33 pm

WHATS AN EX-PAT...
IF YOU MEAN NON-RES...YOU TRAVEL TO ENGLAND ALOT SO MAY NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLY WITH THE REGS??
KEEP PAYING THE NI IF YOU THINK YOU WILL GET THE DESERTS...YOU ARE A BIT OF A LIMBO DANCER...DECISIONS..EH

Ganne

Postby Ganne » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks for your reply although not sure I am any the wiser! Yes 'ex-pat' is non UK residential. I think I can establish that easily if I wanted to.
The question is in this situation what are the tax implications for me as a low earner with some income from a property? Don't I still have to pay tax on my earning from work (??) and property? I am not sure whether it is worth me being an 'official' ex- pat.

tax me less!

Postby tax me less! » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:58 am

You are probably still domestically UK resident. Swiss Federal & Cantonal tax may be higher or lower depending on which Canton you work in.

You certainly need to register in that Canton and then establish whether the UK will give credit for the Swiss tax.

Separately you need to register for the non-resident landlords scheme because - confusingly - this also applies to UK residents in your circumstances.

Ganne

Postby Ganne » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:34 am

Ok thanks for that... I am not working in Switzerland though, my partner is. My income is all coming from the odd bit of consultancy work I do in the UK and some rental. I must admit the non residency landlord thing confuses me. What's the benefit in that? Thanks for your help

rab_c_nesbitt

Postby rab_c_nesbitt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:50 am

Always seems to be that the English use the term "ex-Pat" when everyone else would say "Immigrant". In your shoes I'd ask the equivalent Swiss tax site what the advantages are of being an immigrant.

(NB for those interested in words the born-outwith-UK CEO of a major UK corporate , £0B+ turnover, describes himself as an "Impatriate "..)

rab_c_nesbitt

Postby rab_c_nesbitt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:51 am

Should read £30b+ turnover...

Return to “International Tax”