This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign Income & Self Assessment

natalielr

Postby natalielr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 am

I'm a kiwi in the UK for the next year on a Working Holidaymaker Visa. During this time, I'll be working from home for my New Zealand employer. I've started invoicing them fortnightly and they pay direct to my UK account.
So, I've registered as self-employed but now I'm not sure if that's right. Should I just declare this as foreign income on the SA? Does anyone have advice on what the most tax-effective thing to do is in this situation?

JSK TAXATION

Postby JSK TAXATION » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 am

natalielr

Provided you are genuinely self employed then the income should be entered on a self employment schedule.

If all your work involves UK based clients and transactions then there isnt much you can do to mitigate the tax position here. If the income is large enough you may consider whether it is worthwhile to incorporate.

If you would like to discuss further, contact me any time.

John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
www.taxation-advice.com
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
e: help@taxation-advice.com
w: http://www.taxation-advice.com
01732 897850

natalielr

Re: Foreign Income & Self Assessment

Postby natalielr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice. All of my work involves only one New Zealand based client.

maths

Re: Foreign Income & Self Assessment

Postby maths » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

On the limited information it would not seem you are in fact self employed but an employee of the NZ company; almost certainly the case if prior to arrival in the UK you were already an employee back in NZ and you now, whilst in the UK, only work for them.

Return to “International Tax”