This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Resident working online for a US company

pinkfreesia67
UK Resident working online for a US company

Postby pinkfreesia67 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 pm

I am a UK resident living in the US working for a US company. I am returning to the UK next year to live and the US company I work for has asked me to continue working for them over the internet from the UK. I understand I will be liable for UK taxes.

How is the best way to get paid? It was my intention to have salary paid into my US bank account. I read somewhere that it is best to invoice the US company for my services (I am registered as self employed) rather than be an employee. My employer is unsure if she is legally able to employ me so this may be the way to go. Any advice you can give me or my employer would be very much appreciated.

innovativetax

Re: UK Resident working online for a US company

Postby innovativetax » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:59 am

If you continue to have employee relationship with your employer on arrival to the UK and the US company has no physical presence in the UK, you would be obliged to operate PAYE on your earnings. Self-employment may avoid the PAYE issue if you are properly self-employed. Hope this helps.

Odiri Tax Consultants
www.odiritaxconsultants.com
Odiri Tax Consultants
Stuart House - East Wing,
St John's Street,
Peterborough,
Cambridgeshire,
PE1 5DD
Tel: 01733 808075 Fax: 08704719517
e-mail: tax@odiritaxconsultants.com
Web: www.odiritaxconsultants.com

guya

Re: UK Resident working online for a US company

Postby guya » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:23 pm

When you live in the UK you and the employment will become subject to English (or Scottish) employment law. The concept of self-employment is - broadly speaking - more restrictive here in the UK than in the United States.

Your employment will thus become subject to local employment law here in the UK.

You may nonetheless have to cope with UK corporate tax as your presence here may constitute a permanent establishment of the US entity so requiring addressing such things as UK corporate filing, VAT and transfer pricing.

The employer in the US will seperately need advice on US withholding issues.

Return to “International Tax”