This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxes upon leaving the UK

confusedontax
Taxes upon leaving the UK

Postby confusedontax » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 am

I am a US citizen who lived & work in the UK for 2 years and a couple months. I had been payed in the UK and was paying all UK taxes.

My company transferred me in February 2009 to another country (non-US).

A company tax preparer says that since I have left the UK I do not get to claim any of the UK income tax Personal allowance-even though lived for 10months of the tax year there.

Is this correct? It doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

AJHenderson

Re: Taxes upon leaving the UK

Postby AJHenderson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:14 pm

You would need to complete the Leaving the UK forms (P85) and submit that to HMRC if you haven't already done.

Your still entitled to the Personal Allowence for the full year so you might find yourself in a refund position

guya

Re: Taxes upon leaving the UK

Postby guya » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Your adviser is correct.

If you paying UK tax on the remittance basis - or claiming R/NOR status - the UK does not give you a personal allowance.

Sorry but the law changed effective 6 April 2008. AJHenderson is perhaps not up to date.

Return to “International Tax”