This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Split Year Treatment

ibriggs213
Split Year Treatment

Postby ibriggs213 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 am

Hi

I left the UK in January 2009 with the intention of leaving indefinitely. I had previously been resident, ordinarily resident, and domiciled in the UK since July 2005. I am a UK citizen. I completed a P85 and received split year tax treatment for the tax year 2008/09. However, due to circumstances outside of my control I had to return on 24 December 2009. HMRC have informed me that I need to pay UK tax on my overseas 2009/10 earnings. I was expecting to receive split year treatment on my return. I start working in the UK on 1 February 2010. On reflection I think HMRC are correct, but if anyone has an alternative view please let me know.

Cheers

innovativetax

Re: Split Year Treatment

Postby innovativetax » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 am

The split year tax treatment will only apply if your absence from the UK span a complete tax year and retain your UK non-resident & non-ordinary resident.

Odiri Tax Consultants
www.odiritaxconsultants.com
Odiri Tax Consultants
Stuart House - East Wing,
St John's Street,
Peterborough,
Cambridgeshire,
PE1 5DD
Tel: 01733 808075 Fax: 08704719517
e-mail: tax@odiritaxconsultants.com
Web: www.odiritaxconsultants.com

guya

Re: Split Year Treatment

Postby guya » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 pm

You may of course be treaty resident in the other country given that you were present there most of the year.

Return to “International Tax”