This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT in Spain

pawncob
Re: CGT in Spain

Postby pawncob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Yes. CGT is payable on his worldwide disposals.
See:
http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/span ... nish%20cgt
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Windo

Postby Windo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. I guess that covers it.
Regards

Windo

Postby Windo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I have checked on this now and I am told that estates don't pay CGT, only the beneficiaries. In this case, btw, the executors are the same as the beneficiaries.
I admit to some confusion on this. How can the estate, as said above, be liable for the CGT, since it only comprises what is distributed to the beneficiaries.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 am

Estates don't pay CGT, but EXECUTORS do. They pay tax on the gain on sale. (Probate £300k. Sale proceeds £450k. Gain £150k taxable)
If it was distributed to the beneficiaries in specie at £300k, no gain would arise until the beneficiaries sold it.

Windo

Postby Windo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Pardon me if I am slow in getting all this, but if the executors are responsible for paying CGT on the sale of the house, is there one CGT allowance for each executor or just a single CGT allowance for the estate? Also, what kind of expenses are allowable to claim against CGT? Would they include the fees of the solicitor handling the sale, and the estate agent's percentage of the sale price?
Many thanks for all your help.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Yes the Execs. get half of one CGT allowance, and all sale expenses are deductible.

Return to “International Tax”