This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Contracting in Norway/Australia

freeman1980
Contracting in Norway/Australia

Postby freeman1980 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi

I'm currently contracting in the UK oil and gas industry through my own limited company. In a couple of years I'm planning on taking an overseas assignment to either Norway or Australia. By this time, I should have a reasonable cash balance sitting in my company bank account. Now, as far as I can see, I've got two options:

1) Close the company and claim Entrepreneur's Relief and take the balance out as a capital gain.

2) Keep the company open and continue to take lower rate dividend while being taxed on my overseas earnings at source.

I understand that to establish the best option will indeed be quite complex. So if anyone has had any experience or could give me a contact to gain some advice, it would be very much appreciated.

AvocadoK

Re: Contracting in Norway/Australia

Postby AvocadoK » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes, if you PM me I will give you contact details.
AK

Jetsetter4805

Re: Contracting in Norway/Australia

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:41 pm

With regard to closing the company down and claiming Entrepreneur's relief, could this be done on 5th April after working full time overseas for a complete tax year? Presumably non-resident status could then be claimed with no CGT due at all?

Return to “International Tax”