This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax deducted from foreign income

lucky24
Tax deducted from foreign income

Postby lucky24 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 pm

I am completing a UK tax return which has foreign income with tax deducted at source, so far so good. But I have reason to believe the foreign tax will be refunded. Does this alter things? Should I still enter the tax deducted?

All the guidance just says to enter the tax deducted, which it has been. But it doesn't seem right to enter the tax deduction on the UK return when it is possible that the foreign tax will be refunded.

What are your thoughts? Any help in pointing me in the direction to find the answer?

nikkisizer

Re: Tax deducted from foreign income

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 am

Nikki, the idea of the Forum is to provide initial advice and not just to say "I can help, get in touch". [original content removed - Ed]

maths

Postby maths » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Why do you believe the tax withheld will be refunded?

Which country is involved?

lucky24

Postby lucky24 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm

The country is Ireland. A Irish tax return has been completed and i think the income is under the limits of the personal tax credits (their personal allowances if i understand it correctly) so believe the tax deducted at source will be refunded.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Until the tax is refunded you won't know. Submit the return within the time limit and declare the tax deducted at that time.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm

If at the date of lodging your UK return no refund has actually occurred and you have not been officially informed of any refund then you should list the tax as having been deducted. If and when a refund is forthcoming then you can inform HMRC accordingly.

mullet

Postby mullet » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi,
I have sent you a PM on this subject.
Kind regards
Is this an open forum, or a place to find new clients? Surely advice should be given in public responses (unless the matter is of a private nature of course).

maths

Postby maths » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Totally endorse mullet's comment.

Downtown Boy

Postby Downtown Boy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:45 am

I was curious if the original poster engaged Nikki Sizer? I have also received solicitations for business from her.

Return to “International Tax”