This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to file tax return if income unremitted?

pandora_boite
Re: Do I need to file tax return if income unremitted?

Postby pandora_boite » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:00 pm

This is the link I was given: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/tax-non-uk.htm

In this link under " How to pay tax on the remittance basis" it is says that if you choose the remittance basis and have more than 2000 in earnings outside the UK you have to file a return.

Under "Allowances and reliefs if you don't choose the remittance basis" it lists a whole lot of stuff, and the last entry says you have to file a tax return.

What do the experts think? Is this just badly worded, and the implication is that you only file a tax return if your earnings exceed the allowances?

maths

Postby maths » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:09 pm

In this link under " How to pay tax on the remittance basis" it is says that if you choose the remittance basis and have more than 2000 in earnings outside the UK you have to file a return.

Under "Allowances and reliefs if you don't choose the remittance basis" it lists a whole lot of stuff, and the last entry says you have to file a tax return.
HMRC website is for guidance only; it is not the law. As a consequence whilst helpful it is not exhaustive and to some extent can be either misleading or in fact completely incorrect as the last sentence quoted above.

The £2,000 to which your colleague referred is as per my earlier posting outlined which in any event does not appear to apply to you on your figures which each tax year show unremitted foreign income/gains of more than £2,000.

In short my earlier postings stand.

pandora_boite

Postby pandora_boite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks very much for the clarification

Return to “International Tax”