This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Remittance? Foreign brokerage with UK bonds

Ian Wright
Remittance? Foreign brokerage with UK bonds

Postby Ian Wright » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 pm

The answer is always quite simple. Yes or no? In reality getting to yes or no is very difficult.

I have a UK resident non dom client paying the £30k remittance basis charge so he only reports on UK based income and gains.

My client has a foreign based brokerage account which was funded by foreign income (toxic dirty money which cannot be remitted to the UK).

No money is ever brought to the UK from the foreign brokerage account.

The foreign brokerage account has purchased UK based corporate bonds.

Q1 Is any income derived from the bonds taxable in the UK?

Q2 Does the purchase of UK bonds by the foreign brokerage amount to a remittance for UK tax purposes?

I can not find anything at all anywhere on how to deal with foreign brokerage accounts and the remittance basis.

Any ideas?

Ian
Ian Wright
Tax Consultant
Wright Tax Consultancy Ltd
Hampshire
UK

maths

Re: Remittance? Foreign brokerage with UK bonds

Postby maths » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 pm

The answer is always quite simple. Yes or no?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Return to “International Tax”