This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK/India Companies | Double Taxation Agreement?

sarabha
UK/India Companies | Double Taxation Agreement?

Postby sarabha » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:55 pm

I am a freelancer and have a limited company in UK. And, I also own a company back in India. And, I have few software developers working from Indian company for me.

Couple of my clients paid directly to the Indian company. Obviously, the respective taxes are paid in India. To clarify, sale happened here. Development happened in India, but me being in Uk managed the developers there. Can you suggest if such an arrangement is illegal.

If it is is illegal, can you suggest, how would I 'correct' such a thing. Do I let HMRC about this voluntarily. If it is illegal, Is this a criminal offence or a civil offence.

And, I was worried - I could be doing something wrong with this and since started invoicing from UK even for those clients. And, I am paying to the indian company directly from my UK company. The problem is, how much I pay is pretty much decided by me. And, am not sure what is the effective way to make these decision.

Can someone knowledgeable in this area suggest what is the best way of operating both of these companies from UK tax point of view.

taxguru

Re: UK/India Companies | Double Taxation Agreement?

Postby taxguru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:38 pm

1. If you're tax resident in the UK and own a company in India then there is a risk that the Indian company could be held to be UK resident and, therefore, subject to UK Corp tax as the effective management is situated in the UK. You may make the Indian company a subsidiary of the UK company.

2. The Indian company could receive payments from the clients on behalf of the UK company as an agent and pass it on to the UK company. But fx controls may apply.
What is shared above is information only and not advice in any form

sarabha

Postby sarabha » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

Couple of clarifications:

1. The company in india is held on my father's name. And he is the director of the company there and looks after the company along with me. Would it still make a UK resident company?
2. It had operated for couple of years and paid the respective taxes to Indian government. If HMRC comes after me, are they going to ignore the taxes paid to indian goverment or consider them?

Is what I have done a criminal offence or a civil offence. Can you suggest please.

taxguru

Postby taxguru » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:29 am

There is no criminal offence; if owned by your father then should be OK
What is shared above is information only and not advice in any form

Return to “International Tax”