This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Living abroad working freelance for uk companies tax

johnw100
Living abroad working freelance for uk companies tax

Postby johnw100 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm

I was born in the UK, lived and worked there up until May 2011. I was made redundant in early 2011 and left the UK with my family to live in a non European country. I'm a graphic Designer and I started working as a freelancer in June 2011 and earning in the region of about £22,000 per annum. Most of my clients are UK based and I invoice them to my foreign address and they pay me into my UK bank. I then transfer some money to a local bank account. I also own 2 properties in the UK that are now rented and the rents cover for the mortgage and make little profit. My uk accountant has filed self assessment forms for the 2011/12, 2012/13 tax year in which I declared the rents from my UK properties.

My question is: 1) Am I liable to pay tax on my UK source income even though I have not been in the UK for more than 3 years (think I went there for 15 days in 2012)? I also filed as non-resident P85 form before I left the country.
2) or should I have to pay taxes in the country I am currently living (which I think has no tax arrangement between the Uk and the country i`m residing)

Thanks alot in advance

nikkisizer

Re: Living abroad working freelance for uk companies tax

Postby nikkisizer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 am

Hello johnw100,

Based on the information provided the answer to question number one is no you are not liable to UK tax on your freelance earnings.

Happy to help so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “International Tax”