This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Double Taxation - Sole Trader

twindrop
Double Taxation - Sole Trader

Postby twindrop » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:50 pm

I am a Greek that lived in the UK between 2001 and early 2009 (postgraduate study and work). Have recently returned back in the UK (May 2014) and started working as a sole trader (internet marketing), mainly in order to sustain part of the income I had in Greece while I am looking for a new job in the UK.

Have recently invoiced a client in Greece (web marketing and online booking services) following the instructions that I have found on the HMRC website (non-VAT sole trader), unaware of the double-taxation implications. Since it was my first invoice issued to an EU customer I was unaware that I have to fill any double taxation relief documents and at the same time the clients accountant failed to point this out to me. As a result, 20% of my payment was withheld by the Greek tax-man. I got in touch with the client and he is implying that it was my responsibility to provide him with the paperwork and not his.

Due to the fact that the amount withheld is significant, what actions should I take now? Is it too late? Is there a chance I get a rebate? Going forwards, what documents should I be providing my oversees clients in order to avoid getting taxed twice? Is this something I need to do each time I invoice a client abroad (seems ridiculous but that's what the clients accountant implied)?

Many thanks

nikkisizer

Re: Double Taxation - Sole Trader

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:14 am

Hello twindrop,

If you have not done so already you will need to register for self assessment with HMRC for your self employment.

You will be required to file a self assessment tax return and when calculating any tax due you can then make a claim for the double taxation relief.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “International Tax”