This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US CGT and FIRPTA rules for Brits

swanie
US CGT and FIRPTA rules for Brits

Postby swanie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:00 am

I am a UK resident and have owned rented property (residential and commercial) in Florida for some years and pay tax in the US, plus a balancing charge in the UK. I am now about to sell one of the commercial properties and I am expecting to have an immediate 10% withholding tax on the full proceeds which will ultimately be set against a 15% charge on the gain. Is that correct? I have read that non-residents capital gains are taxed ‘as income’ and at 30%, but I assume this is only if you have not operated as a business in the US (rental of property being regarded as a business).

Also, in my circumstances, what US tax rate is applicable for interest received on mortgages granted to US residents and LLC’s? From what I have read about the FIRPTA rules it seems that it may make a difference if there is a ‘kicker’ provision in a mortgage (of US property) when the lender receives both interest and an additional consideration on the asset disposal based on its value?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “International Tax”