This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working remotely in Portugal for UK company

nunojbsilva
Re: Working remotely in Portugal for UK company

Postby nunojbsilva » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Hello @barry_bama,

I'm still working my way through it but the answer to your question is no, that's not how you become tax resident in Portugal. To register as tax resident in Portugal you first have to visit the town hall where you live and demonstrate that you have adequate financial means and social security to cover yourself (a bank statement and and S1 form, assuming you are covered by UK social security, will do). You then visit the local tax office and register as tax resident.

Note that, if you do this, you will be tax resident in both the UK and Portugal until you notify HMRC that you are resident in Portugal and that you wish to become non-resident in the UK. The implication of this is that both countries will be obliged to tax you. Ultimately you will end up paying no more tax than the maximum of the two countries but I have been advised that this is not a good way to proceed.
Hi @jaymalone

I am in a similar situation than yours do you mind if I pop some questions?

Thanks.

Return to “International Tax”