This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CRS - exchange of bank info or tax affairs?

HarryHowls
CRS - exchange of bank info or tax affairs?

Postby HarryHowls » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm

HI all,

I had a quick question about the CRS stuff from those in the know. I am a UK taxpayer with money and assets recently invested in India. I pay tax on my Indian income to the UK authorities (where repatriable) and to Indian authorities where not repatriable.

My questions are:

a) under CRS, do the Indian banks report directly to HMRC or via the Indian government?
b) is the exchange only about balances or also interest earned?
c) are complete tax affairs/tax records exchanged or is it only about balances in the financial institutions?

My main concerns are in organising non repatriable income for UK audience consumption! And how I manage those affairs

Thanks!

maths

Re: CRS - exchange of bank info or tax affairs?

Postby maths » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:44 pm

CRS requires reporting by Financial Institutions to the local tax authorities on
- - -
the identity of each reportable Account Holder on their Reportable Accounts
the balance on these accounts as at 31st December of each year
income (interest, dividends, gross proceeds, and other income) on these accounts.

Return to “International Tax”