This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Intent to disclose

stepas
Intent to disclose

Postby stepas » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Dear all,

Any and all guidance/advice welcome on the following.

I received a letter from HMRC stating their understanding I possess accounts outside the UK. I work in an EU MS and pay tax on my earnings in the MS.
I spoke to someone at the helpline and while they were at pains to point pout that I should be okay, advised me to disclose my accounts online.

When trying to do so, however, the tone is very much one of assumed guilt, fines, and how much I believe I should pay. Writing in 'zero' does not allow me to proceed.

I think this has come about as I did not inform HMRC I was moving from the UK - I actually did not realise I needed to - so could just be a case of letting them know where my actual residence is? I do have a property in the UK that I use whenever I visit but that is not my main residence anymore.

Am I missing something here?!

All HMRC helplines are presently down, so unable to clarify matters with them.

Thanks

AmanSood

Re: Intent to disclose

Postby AmanSood » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Dear all,

Any and all guidance/advice welcome on the following.

I received a letter from HMRC stating their understanding I possess accounts outside the UK. I work in an EU MS and pay tax on my earnings in the MS.
I spoke to someone at the helpline and while they were at pains to point pout that I should be okay, advised me to disclose my accounts online.

When trying to do so, however, the tone is very much one of assumed guilt, fines, and how much I believe I should pay. Writing in 'zero' does not allow me to proceed.

I think this has come about as I did not inform HMRC I was moving from the UK - I actually did not realise I needed to - so could just be a case of letting them know where my actual residence is? I do have a property in the UK that I use whenever I visit but that is not my main residence anymore.

Am I missing something here?!

All HMRC helplines are presently down, so unable to clarify matters with them.

Thanks
Are you certain that you haven't got an exposure/liability? If so, it's worth writing to HMRC to confirm the position and the facts which support it. Our article (link below) may help as well.

http://e-taxconsulting.com/onewebmedia/ ... 202017.pdf
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”