This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving funds from SA to UK

saexpat
Moving funds from SA to UK

Postby saexpat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:59 pm

I have had funds invested in South Africa (where interest has been capitalised and I pay tax on interest). I since moved to the UK where I work (self employed) and would like to bring the funds from SA to buy a property. What are the tax implications?

AmanSood

Re: Moving funds from SA to UK

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:10 pm

If the foreign funds you invested were earned before you were UK tax resident and any subsequent interest earned overseas has been subject to tax in the UK i.e. you have declared all your foreign income in the UK whilst you have been UK tax resident then there should be no UK tax implications.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”