This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

(Confused) UK citizen travelling to USA for several months as consultant

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm

(Confused) UK citizen travelling to USA for several months as consultant

Postby pi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:04 pm

I am a UK citizen. While living in the UK I was below the minimum cut-off and didn't pay tax.

I've spent the last six months abroad. The last three months I have been working remotely (from Brazil, where I am currently; I believe this means I don't pay tax??) as an independent contractor for a US start-up. Money goes from them to my UK bank account.

I'm returning briefly to the UK for an interview for a B1 business visa which will allow me six months in the USA on-site with them.

I have no idea what this means in terms of tax.

It might make sense to start a UK (or even another country??) company of which I am an employee. Then the US startup engages this company & I travel as a representative/delegate.

Again, I don't know the ramifications of this.

The US start-up wishes to bring me on-board. In fact I'm already on-board in everything but US-presence and paperwork. I'm also applying for a more permanent H1B visa, but this process is a lottery.

I don't even know how to find the expertise I need to tell me my best course of action.

Can anyone help guide me forwards?


PS I don't expect something for nothing, or advice for free. Grateful if anyone can direct me to paid consultants.

Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:18 am

Re: (Confused) UK citizen travelling to USA for several months as consultant

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm


You may still be considered as UK tax Resident under the Statutory Residence Test and therefore any income earned worldwide would be taxable in the UK. It would be easier to declare the income as self employed though depending on the long term a limited company maybe an option. If you are stationed long term abroad and not an employee then a setting up a company in that country of residence maybe a better option

Depending on the domestic tax rules and double tax treaty you could be taxable in Brazil too though probably unlikely.

Kind Regards


Return to “International Tax”