This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Canadian Investments

mike_302
Tax on Canadian Investments

Postby mike_302 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:34 am

Hi all,

I've been working hard over the last year to understand and properly report the earnings on my Canadian investment, as a Canadian living and working in the UK indefinitely. Notably, I am not bothering with the remittance basis, and simply opting to report everything and pay on the arising basis, because of the uncertainty of staying and because for the most part, I fall under the various personal allowance limits...

In Canada, I have changed my status for tax purposes to non-resident -- so I don't file taxes there, and my investments withhold 15% on my dividend earnings (filled in the forms to get the UK tax-treaty rate).

In the UK, the first year, I only had dividends to report, and then I simply added up the total amount of cash that was withheld (I got this from a spreadsheet provided by my broker) and the total amount that I received in cash (i.e. I did not include the total that went into the Dividend Reinvestment program for the related funds), and reported these as tax paid and foreign income, respectively.

This time, I have some capital gains, and I may do again next year. Both capital gains amounts will be under the personal allowance of £11,700 for capital gains. The gains are on stocks and ETFs traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

To keep this query short now: I will work to figure out how to calculate and report the numbers correctly, but I would like to know what the right answer should be at the end of the day. Will I really not owe any tax on these capital gains, so long as the gains are under £11,700? In other words, assuming no other foreign income (forget the dividends and interest), would my tax-owing be £0?

Thanks a bunch.

DavidTreitel

Re: Tax on Canadian Investments

Postby DavidTreitel » Mon May 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Why do you believe all of the gains qualify for the UKs CGT exemption? Are any investments in mutual funds and ETFs held in UK reporting or non-reporting funds?

mike_302

Postby mike_302 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:18 pm

I suppose I just assumed that Capital Gains Tax allowance meant what it sounded like, and didn't consider the possibility of any fine print -- but yes, the Canadian investments are held in ETFs that I believe are non-reporting in the UK (I did a quick check on the reporting/non-reporting status a few months ago), and some in big-name stocks (don't know if they're UK-reporting).

What implications does this have?

mike_302

Postby mike_302 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:38 pm

I suppose I just assumed that Capital Gains Tax allowance meant what it sounded like, and didn't consider the possibility of any fine print -- but yes, the Canadian investments are held in ETFs that I believe are non-reporting in the UK (I did a quick check on the reporting/non-reporting status a few months ago), and some in big-name stocks (don't know if they're UK-reporting).

What implications does this have?
Apologies, I'm all caught up on this now -- I think... I just read this summary: https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/556-Offshore_Mutual_Funds_and_Capital_Gains_Tax.html

Looks like it will be very important/valuable to check if my funds are or are not in fact reporting...

This is rather unfortunate... That's what I get for not being rich enough, I suppose! Some of the gains are even in a Canadian tax-free account, but I know that's not recognised in the UK (the Canadian tax-free account) so I have to pay on that.

Out of curiosity, is there anything I can do / record I can keep -- in case I didn't live here for 7 out of 9 years, and wanted to claim back the tax paid, because I am not bringing the money to the UK? Or any other tips or hints on this matter?

Return to “International Tax”