This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on German Private Pension

Cap_Scarlet
Tax on German Private Pension

Postby Cap_Scarlet » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I retired early this year (at age 53) and returned with my wife to the UK.

I will be in receipt of a private pension from my previous employer in Germany paid in € into my German bank account. The pension is worth c. €100k per annum.

We are English citizens and lived in Germany for almost 20 years.

My question is whether we be liable to tax on the German pension in Germany and whether we would need to declare this income in the UK (i.e. what are the terms of any double taxation treaty?).

Clearly, it would be beneficial if this were taxed in Germany.

SteLacca

Re: Tax on German Private Pension

Postby SteLacca » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:13 pm

It will be taxable in both Germany and the UK, with double taxation relief available in the UK to the extent of UK tax charged, or German tax paid (whichever is lower).

Unfortunately, whenever double taxation is in point, you end up paying the rate of the highest taxing jurisdiction overall.

Return to “International Tax”