This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US Tax classification on UK Limited Company

jack1980
US Tax classification on UK Limited Company

Postby jack1980 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I am thinking of closing my current UK company as it is treated as a corporation in the US (silly me!). Since I will be paying myself wages/dividends in the coming months there should be no undistributed earnings this year which will help to avoid paying GILTI. Small victories!

Instead of possibly closing the company, I am wondering if it wouldn't make more since to just make an 8832 election for the current company to be treated as a partnership? Since my old company will no longer have any assets or reserves once I pay wages/dividends in the coming months, would that simply make more sense? As anyone here done such a change of classification? Any tax issues I am not seeing?

Thanks a lot

Return to “International Tax”