This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US withholding tax on dividends

Brightonian
US withholding tax on dividends

Postby Brightonian » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:10 pm

I am puzzled and wonder if anyone can enlighten me. My client received dividends from the US parent of a company of which he is a director. 25% tax has been withheld. He has a tax liability in the UK, as the dividends exceed the dividend allowance. He is an additional rate taxpayer so his UK liability is at 38.1% Normally I would restrict the foreign tax credit to the treaty rate of 15% but am wondering if there is some special rate applicable because he is a director of the UK company. I can't see anything in the DTA about it. I have come across withholding of 30% before but can find nothing suggesting that 25% is ever withheld from US dividends paid to non-residents. Has anyone else ever come across this?

DavidTreitel

Re: US withholding tax on dividends

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

The normal withholding tax rate on FDAP income is 30%, reduced under the UK treaty to 15%: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/fixed-determinable-annual-periodical-fdap-income

Sounds likely the payer has applied the wrong treaty rate. To recover this, the individual will need to both apply for an ITIN and file a non-resident US tax return. Glad to assist with both if needed.

Brightonian

Postby Brightonian » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I may have located the problem, however. The company is headquartered in Canada and is listed on both the Toronto exchange and NASDAQ. They pay dividends in US dollars but I am wondering if the dividend was perhaps paid in Canada. That would account for the 25% withholding tax. The fact it was paid in US dollars threw me.

mw01

Postby mw01 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm

The normal withholding tax rate on FDAP income is 30%, reduced under the UK treaty to 15%: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/fixed-determinable-annual-periodical-fdap-income

Sounds likely the payer has applied the wrong treaty rate. To recover this, the individual will need to both apply for an ITIN and file a non-resident US tax return. Glad to assist with both if needed.
Can this be done retroactively David?

Return to “International Tax”