Page 1 of 1

UK company posted me abroad, tax return?

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:48 pm
by catajoe
Hi, I’m an Italian citizen working for an UK company.

I started to work in England with this company on 1st of July 2017. In January 2018 they posted me to Belgium and I should stay here for another year or more.
I receive an UK income. I don't live anymore in the UK and I have no properties there (I just go to see my friends sometimes for a weekend).

My questions are the following:

1. Am I entitled to get some tax back as a non-resident person? Do I need to inform HMRC?
2. Do I need to pay tax in Belgium in the future if I continue to work here?
3. I updated my UK bank account address with the new one abroad. Is there a problem having a UK bank account if I'm not resident anymore?

Many Thanks,

Re: UK company posted me abroad, tax return?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm
by AGoodman
1. You should not have UK tax deducted under PAYE if you are non-resident and carrying out all your work overseas. Your employer should resolve this with HMRC.

If you have overpaid in the UK (ie had tax deducted for periods when you were non-resident) then you should be able to recover it. You may well need to file a return to do this.

2. Yes - and probably should be doing so now.

3. no

You should get some Belgian tax advice urgently. You may get your employer to pay for it but get it regardless. It sounds like you have already been in Belgium for a year without paying any tax and could be digging a hole for yourself.

Re: UK company posted me abroad, tax return?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm
by catajoe
Thanks @AGoodman!

I just spoke with my company and they told me that we are going to check with their tax advisor in England.

Basically this is my situation:

Tax year from 06/04/2017 to 05/04/2018
During this year I worked in UK (from July to December '17) and in Belgium (from January '18).

Tax year from 06/04/2018 to 05/04/2019
Current year - I'm only working in Belgium.

I forget to mention that every 2-3 months they renew my staying here in gelgium giving me a new Limosa Declaration. (