This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Withdrawing Canadian Registered Savings as a UK tax resident

marshall211
Withdrawing Canadian Registered Savings as a UK tax resident

Postby marshall211 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi

I am a Canadian citizen living / working in Toronto, Canada. I will be permanently moving to the UK in 3 months’ time.

I have funds in Canadian RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) in Canada and I plan to withdraw those when I become a resident of the UK.

Canada and UK have Double Taxation avoidance Agreement and specifically around withdrawal of RRSP, I found the following circular from the UK govt. (DT4617)

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/double-taxation-relief/dt4617

The manual is adequately clear on the withholding tax of 25% levied by Canada upon withdrawal, however, I am not clear on the treatment of any capital gains in those RRSP when I file my taxes as a UK resident. My questions are as follows:

I plan to relocate permanently by March 2019 and become a UK tax resident for the purpose of filing the 2019 taxes. I have 2 options for lump sum withdrawal:

1. I continue to maintain the funds in RRSP until 2020 at which point I withdraw lump-sum. After paying 25% to Canada, I file UK tax in 2020. How are the capital gains (for UK tax) calculated? Are they calculated on the cost of purchase of assets from the beginning (Some of the RRSP assets were purchased 8-9 years earlier and therefore, may have significant taxable capital gains)? It appears that the last line of DT4617 manual specifies that “if the assets are disposed to fund withdrawal’ capital gains tax is attracted.

2. In the event, I sell the assets in the RRSP and converting them into cash while still being in Canada, and then later after moving to the UK withdraw that cash, technically speaking, assets would not be sold to fund the withdrawal. Would I then be able to not pay capital gains taxes in the UK since assets were sold while I was in Canada and not to fund the withdrawal at the time. This essentially has the impact of changing the ‘cost basis’ of those assets.

Any advice on the aforementioned will be much appreciated. If there are any specific HMRC links that address this or any tax accountants in the UK who could address this, please advise.

Thanks..!
JD

Salcosue

Re: Withdrawing Canadian Registered Savings as a UK tax resident

Postby Salcosue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:58 am

Hi JD

Did you receive any advice re this?

Thank you

Return to “International Tax”