This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Swiss tax

Nonimous
Swiss tax

Postby Nonimous » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Greetings

My client received a huge Swiss dividend paid out in June 2017, The Swiss collected 35% tax, and we got some of that refunded so that in effect, 15% was paid to Switzerland. The refund did not arrive until September 18 because the Swiss authorities mislaid the paperwork

Client is now complaining bitterly that I converted the entire dividend at the exchange rate in June 17 when in fact she received 65% of her dividend in June 17 and the other 20% in September 2018 and the exchange rates altered

I don't think there is anything I can do about this. Or is there? All I could think of was having her pay the remittance basis charge instead and I do not think she would be happy with that.

AGoodman

Re: Swiss tax

Postby AGoodman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Absent a good argument (and I can't think of any) the default position must be the exchange rate on the date the dividend was paid (i.e. June).

Return to “International Tax”